As you put together your tour, here are the criteria you must meet:
1. You will need to decide on a clear, concrete theme that will allow you to explore a particular aspect of the collection with the museum’s visitors. Your theme should elaborate a particular concern or pattern that you have noticed throughout your study of art history. It must not be so general that nearly any work in the VAM could fit into it (e.g., human creativity or architecture). You may not use any of the themes you have already explored in the course, such as The Body or Religious Experience
2. Your tour will need a creative title that clearly reflects its theme.
3. Your tour needs to support the museum’s educational mission. Revisit the Welcome page where I first shared the museum’s mission with you.
4. Your tour will need to consider four works currently in the VAM’s collection (i.e., the online course materials). The tours must take the museum visitor to at least three of the VAM’s rooms.
5. Your tour should be in an essay format and be 1,250-1,750 words. It should include an introduction in which you make a clear argument for why your theme is important, a thorough discussion of each of the works, and a conclusion. Be sure to consult the grading rubric I have provided as you work on this final project. (See link at right.) You can refer back to your work, of course, but remember that this is a tour and the information you present needs to keep your theme in view at all times. It must be clear to visitors why you have included each work in your tour. You are not required to include pictures in your tour since each work is already in the VAM.
6. You may not refer to any sources other than your textbook and online materials I have provided. If I detect any information in your tour that comes from unauthorized sources, you will receive an F for the course and I will file academic integrity charges.
7. Here is an example of a VAM Tour. You can not use the theme discussed in this paper.
Your final project is due by 11:59PM, July 29th. If you have any questions at all about this assignment, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would much rather have you ask for clarification than make mistakes by making assumptions!
Unlike other journals in the course, I have set this journal to allow you to save entries and come back to edit them later, so take advantage of the full time you have to work on it. If you choose to compose your tour offline, please type or paste your final text into the Message box; do not add any attachments.