Format Requirements and Guidelines
Spacing, Font and Margins
• The body of the paper must be in size 12 font.
• The abstract, acknowledgements and general text of the manuscript must be doublespaced.
• Table of Contents: single-space within chapters and double-space once between the
“Lists” and chapters.
• List of Tables, List of Figures, Key to Symbols and Key to Abbreviations: single-space
within entries and double-space once between entries.
• Single-space within bibliographical entries and double-space once between entries.
• Single-space is acceptable for long tables, long quotations, footnotes, appendices and
• Margins must be at least 1 inch all the way around (top, bottom, left and right).
Page numbering and placement
• Portrait oriented pages: the page numbers are to be centered 0.5 inch from the bottom
of the page on the 8.5 inch side of the page.
• Landscape oriented pages: the page numbers are to be centered 0.5 inch from the
bottom of the page on the 11 inch side of the page. If you have pages that are meant to be
landscape in orientation, you must rotate the PDF for that particular page so that the
reader can read the page without turning their head.
Every field project is composed of three parts: preliminary pages, text in the body of the
document and reference materials (i.e. appendices and bibliography).
• Preliminary pages
o Preliminary pages are all of the pages that precede the body of the thesis or dissertation.
o Count, but do not number, the title page, abstract page and copyright page.
o All other preliminary pages (Dedication, Acknowledgements, Table of Contents, List of
Tables, List of Figures, Key to Symbols or Key to Abbreviations) are to be numbered with
lower case roman numerals (ie: iii, iv, v, vi, etc.)
o Page number placement begins at the dedication if you have one. If not, page number
placement would begin on the next page of your document.
o Page numbers are to be placed 0.5 inch from the bottom of the page regardless if the
page is portrait or landscape in orientation.
• Body of the document, Appendices and Bibliography
o Count and number all pages in the body of the document using Arabic numbers.
o The first page of the Introduction or Chapter 1 is to be page 1. Arabic numbers are
placed on all pages sequentially throughout the text.
o There are to be no blank pages in the document.