1. Which step of a minor scale is slightly lower than in the corresponding step of a major scale? A. Seventh B. Fifth C. Fourth D. Third
2. A form of polyphony consisting of two or more rhythmically interlocking voices is the A. ostinato. B. hocket. C. Mbuti. D. Ituri.
3. When the singers and band repeat a basic section of music while the lead singer improvises on a single motif, the result is called a A. twist. B. hook. C. vamp. D. groove.
4. Which composer drew heavily on northern European mythology, including many of the same sources used by J. R. R. Tolkien in his Lord of the Rings? A. Verdi B. Vivaldi C. Berlioz D. Wagner
5. The Renaissance period in musical history lasted from about A. 1500 to 1789. B. 1450 to 1750. C. 1425 to 1600. D. 1650 to 1750. ￼￼￼￼
￼6. The estampie and the saltarello are two forms of A. African musical instruments. B. syllabic text-setting. C. medieval dances. D. Italian musical instruments.
7. In the 1920s, Schoenberg developed the new system for organizing music called A. monodrama. B. 12-tone composition. C. 12-bar blues. D. atonal closure.
8. One of the key components of the double-exposition concerto form is the A. chorale. B. cadenza. C. theme. D. single exposition.
9. Which one of the following is an example of an oratorio? A. Cantata no. 97 B. The Four Seasons C. Coronaton of Poppea D. Messiah
10. The character of a sound is referred to as its A. pitch. B. line. C. timbre. D. texture.
11. Which one of the following represents one of the most important elements of sonata form? A. Development of themes B. Use of word painting C. Doctrine of affects D. Use of Latin texts
12. The term ritornello principle plays a huge part in a A. sonata. B. concerto grosso. C. virtuoso cadenza. D. suite. ￼
13. The _______ voice is the highest voice in vocal music. A. tenor B. bass C. soprano D. alto
14. The repetition (AA), variation (AA'), and contrast (AB) of a piece of music are all part of the music's A. genre. B. timbre. C. form. D. texture.
15. Call-and-response form is often used in _______ music. A. Chinese B. Bahamian C. Jewish D. Indian
16. Another word for the “color” of music is A. texture. B. timbre. C. tone. D. dynamics.
17. Julio wants the chorus to sing a section of music very softly. What will Julio write in that section to convey his wishes? A. p B. mp C. pp D. f
18. Who wrote The Nutcracker? A. Boris Gudonov B. Alexandr Pushkin C. Felix Mendelssohn D. Pyotr Tchaikovsky
19. Bass and soprano registers are aspects of A. meter. B. amplitude. C. pitch. D. rhythmic values. ￼
20. _______ called for a style that was free, individualized, and extravagant. A. Bebop B. Rhythm and blues C. Hip hop D. Blues
21. Von Bingen's Play of Virtues is a good example of a type of music called A. recitation. B. wenchang. C. plainchant. D. vocal quartet.
22. At the start of the String Quartet in F Major, op. 96, Dvořák begins with a _______ pattern using a second violin and cello. A. stream of consciousness B. polytonal C. call-and-response D. contrast and variation
23. The dactylic meter of poetry corresponds to the _______ in music. A. measure B. bar form C. triple meter D. duple meter
24. Eldon says that Berry Gordy founded Motown records to produce big band recording artists. Will says that Gordy founded Motown to produce R&B musicians. Who is correct? A. Only Will is correct. B. Both Eldon and Will are correct. C. Neither Eldon nor Will is correct. D. Only Eldon is correct.
25. The text pattern of ***** *****'s “Terraplane Blues” is typical of songs in the A. blue-note melody. B. European classical tradition. C. 8-to-the-bar pattern. D. 12-bar blues.
26. Which instrument is part of a piano trio? A. viola. B. violin. C. harp. ￼D. flute.
27. The unique quality of Mendelssohn's overture to the sonata form in A Midsummer Night's Dream is that the A. exposition isn't repeated. B. development is exaggerated. C. length is expanded. D. development is minimal.
28. When both instruments play the same notes together, in unison, that is called A. heterophony. B. monophony. C. polyphony. D. homophony.
29. _______ is designed for performance in an intimate setting. A. Opera buffa B. Opera seria C. Symphony D. Chamber music
30. The Broadway musical is descended from the A. recitative. B. aria. C. operetta. D. oratorio.
31. The combination of antecedent and consequent units that make a larger whole is called the A. periodic phrase structure. B. punctuation. C. full cadence. D. theme and variations form.
32. The _______ is the middle part of the sonata form. A. development B. exposition C. coda D. recapitulation
33. When two voices sing exactly the same note simultaneously, the voices are singing A. a cadenci. B. a capella. C. a doto. ￼D. in unison.
34. Gottschalk's Union is an example of _______ as an attempt to connect purely instrumental music with the wider world of events and ideas. A. lieder B. program music C. art songs D. modernism
35. A _______ is a duple-meter dance associated with square-dancing. A. hoe-down
36. Changing from one key to another is called A. variation.
37. Bach's Cantata no. 140 is an intricate reconstruction of a A. patriotic song.
B. Baroque operetta.
C. well-known hymn.
D. popular ballet tune.
38. A group of instruments or voices with similar timbres within the ensemble is the A. tenors.
39. The _______ of a song are often referred to as stanzas. A. verses
40. A repeated musical pattern in a composition is called a/an A. monotone.