Climate change.November 20, 2020
Discuss the ways in which a nurse demonstrates cultural competency in nursing practice.November 20, 2020
Cochlear implants have been a hotbed of the sensation-and-perception debate since they were approved for use in the United States in 1984. This debate is particularly notable when the use of implants in deaf children is discussed.
Using the online library resources, and the Internet, research the use of and the debate surrounding cochlear implants in deaf children.
Based on your research, respond to the following:
- Explain deaf culture and summarize the following two perspectives on deafness:
- Pathological perspective
- Sociocultural perspective
- Compare and contrast the arguments of the hearing and non-hearing parents of deaf children regarding the use of cochlear implants. State the points on which they agree or disagree.
- State your opinion on whether you would choose to let your child have the surgery if you were the parent of a child who was born deaf and was eligible for a cochlear implant. Explain whether this position is supported by current research.
- Explain whether this debate would be different in the case of children born blind if a retinal implant was available.
Support your responses with adequate reasoning and research.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.