Why do you think the source is credible?November 27, 2020
Has the Office of the President of the United States become the Imperial Presidency?November 27, 2020
There needs to be 5 sources 2 being primary. 3 full pages long, double spaced, AND an additional bibliography page so 4 pages total.
Civil War: Why did Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation? How did it influence the decision of European nations not to recognize the Confederacy?
- Women in the Civil War: How did they contribute?
- African American soldiers in the Civil War: How did they contribute? What kind of discrimination did they face in the Union army?
- Abraham Lincoln’s assassination: What did Booth and his co-conspirators hope to achieve? How did Lincoln’s assassination impact the reconstruction of the nation after the Civil War? *Was Mary Surratt actually a part of the conspiracy?
- African Americans after the Civil War: How were they affected by Reconstruction policies? How were they affected after the return of white supremacy? Discuss social, legal, and economic factors.
- New York draft riots during the Civil War: What were the causes? What were the effects?
- Transcontinental railroad: What was its impact on westward expansion?
- Legend vs. reality in the West: Focus on myths and realities surrounding a particular figure (e.g.: Buffalo Bill, Wyatt Earp, George Custer, etc.)
- Native American conflicts in the West: Specify tribe(s) and conflict. (e.g.: The Battle of the Little Bighorn, Wounded Knee Massacre, etc.); What were the causes and effects?
- United States and Native American policy: What was the impact of the Dawes Act and/or other pieces of legislation? What was the impact of the reservation policy?
- Electric power and related inventors: Analyze the impact of the harnessing of electric power and/or discuss the competition among the inventors who played a role (e.g.: Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse)
- Inventors/inventions of the 19th Century: Choose a significant inventor or invention and examine the challenges of developing the item or the impact of the invention on the American society/economy.
- Wealthy industrialists in the late 1800s: “Robber Barons”, “Philanthropists” or “Captains of Industry”?
- The Gilded Age: Discuss the origin of the term and why it is an appropriate metaphor for the United States in the late 1800s.
- Labor unions in the 1800s: What economic, social, and philosophical factors contributed to their formation?
- Labor conflicts/strikes in the late 1800s: What was the federal government’s attitude toward organized labor, and how and when did it change?
- Haymarket Riot: What were the causes and effects?
- Pullman Strike: What were the causes and effects?
- Immigration in the late 1800s: What were the difficulties faced by immigrants, and how did they adjust to life in America?
- Immigration in the late 1800s: Discuss the “melting pot” vs. “salad bowl” metaphors.
- Chinese immigrants: Why did they come to the U.S.? What discrimination did they face? (Chinese Exclusion Act)
- The Great Chicago Fire of 1871: Why was it so severe? What was the impact on the city (especially architecture)?
- Urban political machines in the late 1800s: What were the reasons for their development? Why were they successful? What is their legacy?
- The political cartoons of Thomas Nast: What was their influence on public opinion? How did they contribute to the downfall of Boss Tweed?
- Settlement house movement of the late 1800s: What prompted the development of the movement? What was its impact on urban neighborhoods? Specify area (e.g.: Chicago’s Hull House)
- Child labor in the late 1800s/ early 1900s: What was the impact on society? How were reforms made?
- Galveston hurricane of 1900: What were the effects on the city? How did city government change after the hurricane?
- The San Francisco earthquake and fire of 1906: What were the effects on the city, especially on the Chinese residents?
- Muckrakers: What was the impact of this journalism on progressive reforms?
- The Springfield Race Riot of 1908: What were the causes and/or effects?
- Imperialism in the late 19thand early 20th Century: Was it justified? (Focus on one region.)
- Yellow journalism: What was its role in causing the Spanish-American War? (Hearst and Pulitzer)
- Spanish-American War: What were the causes and/or effects?
34.The automobile: What was its impact on America’s economy and society?