You will be examining the relationship among organisms inhabiting a small lake. Examine the “Lake Inhabitants” sheet for information about the organisms found in the lake.
1. What biotic and abiotic factors will affect the aquatic plants in the lake? (2 points)
2. What biotic and abiotic factors will affect the bluegill in the lake? (2 points)
3. Looking at the organisms associated with the lake, organize them into three trophic groups: producers, consumers, and decomposers. (1 point)
4. Separate the consumers into three subcategories: herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores. (1 point)
5. Create 3 different food chains found within the lake. Food chain #1 should contain 3 organisms, food chain #2 should contain 4 organisms, and food chain # 3 should contain 5 organisms. The arrows should point in the direction the energy is flowing through the food chain. You can either use the “>” as your arrow or the Insert Symbol function to insert an arrow into your food chains. (1 point)
6. As the energy flows through each trophic level, how much energy is lost from the food chain as heat? (1 point)
7. What happens to the number of organisms as they go up through the trophic levels? Explain why this occurs. (2 points)