Here is a list of finishes that usually apply to textiles used in an interior environment.
• Flame resistant or Flame retardant
• Sunlight resistant or Lightfastness
• Waterproof or Water resistant
• Soil and or Stain resistant
• Shrinkage control
• Soil release (which is not the same as soil or stain resistant)
Venture out into the Internet and locate four (4) different fabrics that have four (4) different finishes from the list provided above that would be appropriate to use in an interior design setting. (i. e. NO primarily fashion fabrics) Copy and paste the image into this document, providing URL’s. For each identify the following:
1. Fabric name/fiber content
2. Name of the finish
3. Provide an appropriate application for the use of this finish in an interior environment. For example: I would use this fabric as a window treatment where there is minimal sunlight or I would use this fabric for a couch in a family room where there are no pets or small children.
4. Explain how the finish will contribute to the appearance and/or performance when used in the application you have selected. In other words, what is the value of the finish?
Select one (1) of the four (4) finishes and discuss the environmental impact. Does the usefulness of the finish outweigh the environmental impact? Don’t forget to cite your sources.