Select a culture that you identify yourself with or one that interests you the most (more than your own self!). This will serve as the “target culture” for this assignment. One purpose of this assignment is to help you become aware of your own culture and how it influences your perceptions, actions and behaviors related to your everyday life.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper (NOT including title page and reference page) in which you:
1. Summarize the attitudes, customs and beliefs that are unique to this culture and that distinguishes this culture from others in the US mainstream.
2. Identify place and the dateline of the target culture in the US mainstream
3. Identify the health status and health indicators of the target culture as per Healthy People 2020
4. Use your own words in writing the paper. Be sure to identify all the sources used as in-text citation in the body of the paper, as well as a reference in the reference section.
5. Explain how the target culture relates to this course on culture, health and healing. Discuss the ways in which this assignment does (or doesn’t) provide background information to help you understand the dynamics of culture, health and healing and the larger issues surrounding US health care profession that you have chosen as your own
6. Relate the target culture to your life and to issues that are important to you and if it affects you directly or indirectly.
7. Rate the importance of inclusive research on this target culture relative to other areas of research.