Answer those question.
1. Baroque Opera: Compare and contrast the two Baroque operas we listened to in class, Purcell’s Dido and Aeneas and Monteverdi’s Coronation of Poppea. In what ways are they the same and how do they differ? Discuss the stories used for each and the sources for the stories, the languages in which they are written, the characters in each, and the use of aria, recitative and chorus.
2. Bach and Handel: Compare and contrast the lives and work of the two great Baroque composers, Bach and Handel. Discuss their lives (marriages, children, careers) and their musical compositions. Include opera, oratorio, and instrumental compositions.
3. The Orchestra: In essay form, discuss the orchestra and its 4 main sections – strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion. Name the most commonly used instruments in each section and talk briefly about how the instruments work and how the instruments in each family differ from each other.
4. Sonata-Allegro form: Discuss this most ubiquitous (frequently used) of musical forms. Include the three major sections of the form and the two optional sections, and give a breakdown of the Exposition and Recapitulation sections of the form.
5. Mozart and Haydn: Discuss the lives and work of these two Classical Era composers. Include their career paths, their relationship with the nobility, their relationship to each other, and the kinds of compositions they produced. Discuss Mozart’s unique method of composing music.