Professional blog – economics field (DC Discourse Community)February 26, 2020
Underlying purpose of Alien and Sedition ActsMarch 10, 2020
Prepare for submission a grant application for a mock non-profit organization of your choice to fund your mock organization. (Suggestion: Pages 28 and 29 in Yuen, Terao, and Schmidt text give you 10 ten tips for writing a successful grant proposal). Remember that funds are limited and you are competing with other agencies for the limited funds. Given below are the guidelines that will help you write your paper. It might be easier for you to select an agency with which you are very familiar. Just to give you some context, I have chosen “camping equipment for Redwood Children’s Camp” as an example. Please note that I am only using camping equipment for children as an example. Feel free to request funding for whatever you think is appropriate for your agency or program
- Selection of Funding Agency: Find a government or a foundation that would be appropriate for funding whatever you are requesting for a program or agency of your choice (suggestion: pages 22-24 and pages 27 – 28 of Yuen et al. text give you web addresses you can use to explore government and foundation funding sources.
- Cover page & Grant Application Form: (1 point) Once you locate an appropriate funding source, use their one- or two-page grant application form that is required to be filled out when you are applying for their funding. This or these one or two pages will follow a cover page (the cover page will have the title of your application, your name, and university affiliation). (0.5 points for cover page & 0.5 for grant application form)
a. Introduction: (3 points)—An introduction will give the reader a summary or overview of your grant proposal. Given below are some suggestions that will help you make your case. You do not have to address every point given below, but you have to make a strong case for what you are requesting).
- Amount you are requesting: It is a good idea to be upfront with what you are requesting. So, you can begin with something like: Redwood Children’s Camp is requesting funds to purchase camping equipment for children between the ages of….etc.
- Explain for what, and why you are requesting funds
- How the grant would help
- Dire consequences of not having whatever you are asking (in my case camping equipment)
- The mission of your agency and briefly how the equipment will help meet the mission
- What is unique about your agency compared to other agencies that offer similar programs
- The _ (in my example: camping equipment) is indispensable. If no funds, you would have to go elsewhere for funds or cut programs or beneficiaries (in my example, number of children who are served by Redwood Children’s Camp).
- Consequences of cutting down the program or reducing eligibility. Whom it would affect, (in my example, families, children, etc.)
b. Specific agency information and history (3 points) Given below are some suggestions that will help you make your case. You do not have to address every point given below, but you have to make a strong case for what you are requesting.
- Specific agency information and history, how many people or communities it serves, etc.
- Emphasize the uniqueness of your program because other programs like yours will also be competing for funds.
- How your program helps beneficiaries (in my example, children and families)?
- How your program for which you are requesting the equipment meets the mission of your agency?
- What are the social benefits of your program?
- Use references to show how your program benefits clients and/society (e.g. camping helps children become well integrated or camping helps children learn social, survival, interpersonal skills, etc. which will help them find jobs, etc.). Use references to show how lack of your program can have adverse effects (for example, children without camping experience do poorly in life compared to other children; or recent research shows that that children who are not well assimilated into the society do poorly.) Use APA style for all your references.
- Discuss how your program is ideal to meet the needs of your clients (e.g. children’s needs).
- Discuss how good, qualified, and well trained is your staff.
- Discuss how the way your agency operates is ideal for meeting the need of your clients, particularly in reference to whatever you are requesting.
c. Problems and Needs Statement (4 points) Given below are some suggestions that will help you make your case. You do not have to address every point given below, but you have to make a strong case for what you are requesting).
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Just from $13/Page
- The problems with your current _ (e.g. camping equipment) or if you do not have any then state the problems arising from that.
- Without good (camping equipments) your program will have to be cut
- The average life of a new or used (camping equipment).
- What is wrong with your current (camping equipment).
- Use statistics and studies to convince the funders of the need for what you are requesting (e.g. studies show that camping equipment that does not have ___________features can be dangerous for children. Studies show that 30,000 children a year are hospitalized due to injuries from camping equipment and 300 children die from unsafe equipments).
- If you like you can ask for additional things (e.g. like storage facility, first aid kit, etc. but remember that you only have limited space in your paper)
d. Procurement (2 points) Given below are some suggestions that will help you make your case. You don’t have to include every point given below, but you have to make a strong case for what you are requesting).
- After investigation, we have determined that _ (the store or company from which the equipments can be purchased) would be the best place to meet our needs.
- Provide reasons for your wanting to purchase what you want from where you want (such as, reasonably priced, high quality, will give a discount, will not charge for delivery, etc.)
- This equipment has all the features you need, light weight, handicap accessible, easy to clean, durable, etc.).
- Budget Request (2 point)
Items Quantity Cost per Unit Total
Your paper must be organized in the following manner:
- Cover Page (1 page) [0.5 points]
- Grant Application form (1 or 2 pages) [0.5 points]
- Text (4 pages)
a. Introduction [3 points]
b. Specific agency information and history [3 points]
c. Problems and Needs statement [4 points]
d. Procurement [2 points]
- Budget Request (1 page) [2 points]
- References (All references in the text must be cited using the APA style)
All writing throughout must be professional (no spelling or grammatical errors, use APA style, must have a finished look). Remember everything you write in this paper must be focused on securing funding for whatever you are asking. Hence, points are given for the degree and quality of your persuasiveness and writing.