What is the social construction of gender and race? How do the texts (Thresholds Concepts and The Borders of Race) further your understanding of how gender and race are socially constructed?
2) Explain the difference between sex and gender.
3) Explain the difference between race and ethnicity.
4) Explain the difference between gender and sexism.
5) Explain the difference between race and racism.
6) Provide an example from the Thresholds text to illustrate sexism in society.
7) In The Borders of Race, what is the central concept upon which I am building my discussion? What is your understanding of this key concept?
8) (Referring to Chapter 3 in The Borders of Race)
What are two contrasting ways that the key term surfaces in the experience of multiracial people? Provide the terms, along with an example from the text, and discussion of what the example illustrates to you.
9) Referring to Chapter 4 in The Borders of Race)
How do I elaborate even further on the central concept in this chapter? What are the core concepts presented in this chapter? Please provide an example from this chapter of the book that illustrates each of the core concepts in Chapter 4.
10) We did two different, but related, in-class activities in Week 6. In what way(s) did those activities shift your awareness of the challenges of choosing racial identity, the limits of racial categories/categorization, and the emotion work of wrestling with painful yet persistent racial stereotypes?