7007.1.1 : Organization and Financing Healthcare
The graduate analyzes the organization of healthcare delivery and financing systems in the United States and
7007.1.2 : Policy Process
The graduate analyzes the historical, economic, and political factors that affect healthcare policy
development and the impact of those policies on healthcare cost, quality, and access.
7007.1.3 : Effects of Legal and Regulatory Policies
The graduate analyzes the effect of major legal and regulatory policies on nursing practice, healthcare
delivery, and health outcomes for individual, families, and communities.
7007.1.4 : Ethical Theories Applied to Nurses’ Policy Positions
The graduate analyzes the values that drive policies.
7007.1.5 : Advocate for Policies ThatImprove the Health ofthe Public and the Profession of Nursing
The graduate analyzes strategies that healthcare advocates use to affect policies with the goal of improving
the public health and the profession of nursing.
For this assessment, you will be required to develop and thoroughly analyze a public policy in order to
advocate for one that improves the health of the public and/or the nursing profession globally (local, state,
national, or international). To do this, you will reflect on several aspects of being a policy maker within the
nursing position. A few things to consider are:
• Why did you select the health or nursing profession policy issue?
• How does this issue affect nursing practice, healthcare delivery, and health outcomes for individual,
families, and/or communities?
• What are the values and the ethical positions that underpin your perspectives?
• What are the criteria you will use to evaluate the success (outcomes) of your proposed policy change?
By using both a top-down and a bottom-up approach, you will analyze and bring the nursing perspective to
policy makers and stakeholders. Identifying the values and ethical perspectives that underpin your position,
you will develop criteria to evaluate the success of your work. This will lead to a created a policy brief that can
be sent to decision makers and created a plan to work with an organization/community to promote policy
change at the local level.
To guide you to your conclusion, using nursing research to support your position is vital. This should include
principles of community-based participatory research (CBPR).
10/25/2019 WGU Performance Assessment
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no
more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from
sources, even if cited correctly. An originality report is provided when you submit your task that can be used
as a guide.
Professional Communications is a required aspect to pass this task. Completion of a spell check and grammar
check prior to submitting your final work is strongly recommended.
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed criteria that
will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric
aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course.
Note: Your submission may take the form of an essay, multimedia presentation, etc. Be sure to cover each
prompt in sufficient detail and support no matter what form you use.
A. Prepare your reflection essay (suggested length of no more than of 3 pages) of the values and ethics of a
public policy issue by doing the following:
1. Analyze a health or nursing profession public policy issue that impacts a group of people and requires a
a. Discuss why you selected this public policy issue.
Note: If you select a local policy, be sure your discussion reflects how the policy will affect more
than a single unit, department, or organization.
b. Discuss the relevance of the public policy issue to the health or the nursing profession, using two
pieces of academically appropriate literature from the last five years.
c. Describe the financial impact of the public policy on an organization or on a community.
2. Analyze how your values impact your position on the public policy issue.
a. Discuss the ethical principle (e.g., autonomy, beneficence, non-maleficence, justice) or theory that
underpins your perspective.
B. Develop a policy brief (suggested length of no more than 6 pages) for the public policy issue discussed in
part A in which you do the following:
1. Identify the decision maker (name and title) who will receive the policy brief.
a. Explain why the public policy issue requires the decision maker’s attention, using relevant nursing
research from the last five years to support your position.
2. Discuss the main challenges of addressing the selected public policy issue.
3. Discuss the primary options and/or interventions for the decision maker, including why they are
4. Propose a persuasive course of action for the decision maker, including ways to avoid the challenges
identified in part B2.
5. Discuss how you will evaluate the success of your policy brief (top-down approach).
C. Create a plan (suggested length of no more than 3 pages) for working with an organization or a community
to address the public policy issue analyzed in part A by doing the following:
1. Identify an organization or community that has expressed interest in your selected health or nursing
profession public policy issue.
a. Summarize evidence supporting why the organization or community has expressed interest in the
selected public policy issue.
2. Identify three CBPR principles you could use to work with the organization or community to address a
policy change for the public policy issue.
10/25/2019 WGU Performance Assessment
a. Explain how you could approach and collaborate with the organization or community.
b. Discuss how the goal of the community or organization aligns with your goal for the selected public
c. Discuss the action steps that need to be taken to achieve your goal from part C2b.
d. Discuss the possible roles/responsibilities of the community or organization members, including
problem-solving and capacity-building roles.
e. Discuss key elements of developing a collaborative evaluation plan, using CBPR principles.
f. Discuss how you will evaluate the success of your community or organization plan (bottom-up
D. Analyze (suggested length of 1 page) the strengths and challenges of the top-down and bottom-up
approaches in achieving policy change(s) to support your selected public policy issue by doing the
1. Discuss the strengths of each approach to implement change for the selected public policy issue.
2. Discuss the challenges of each approach to implement change for the selected public policy issue.
3. Discuss which approach you would recommend as the most effective to address the selected public
E. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
Note: When using sources to support ideas and elements in an assessment, the submission MUST include
APA formatted in-text citations with a corresponding reference list for any direct quotes or paraphrasing. It is
not necessary to list sources that were consulted if they have not been quoted or paraphrased in the text of